|June 27, 2013
—Redmond is getting ready to celebrate its 73rd Annual Derby Days Summer Festival. Thousands of residents, visitors and families are expected to attend this two day celebration starting on July 12th from 5:00 pm -10:00pm, and Saturday, July 13th from 10am-10pm. Derby Days occurs at Redmond City Hall Campus, 15670 NE 85th Street.
This year events include:
- First Tech Friday Night Live, kicks off the festival with headliner, The Dusty 45’s. The opening act, The Nowhere Men, will get people ready for a night of dancing and great music. Food vendors are on hand for dinner or a snack; the beer and wine garden will provide a great spot for both people and band watching.
- After the concert enjoy the movie, 007: Skyfall, from 10:00pm to midnight on the great lawn at City Hall, presented by RYPAC.
- Saturday events begin at 8am at the Redmond Fire Department Pancake Breakfast, Station 11, 8450 161st Ave NE. The breakfast is free, donations accepted; all proceeds benefit the Redmond Firefighters Benevolent Fund.
- At 9:00 am, the Derby Days Dash, a 5K run/walk, begins and ends at the Redmond Downtown Park, 16101 Redmond Way. Race registration begins at 7:45am. All proceeds benefit the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network.
- At 10:00 am come join the Ben Franklin Kids Parade, one of the nation’s largest children’s parade. Children and families are encouraged to decorate their “wheels” and themselves. Parade registration begins at 9:00am, at the new location, the Old Redmond Post Office, along 85th, 16135 NE 85th Street. Arriving early is strongly recommended in order to register before the parade starts.
- Immediately following the Kids Parade is the City’s Grand Parade. The best viewing of the bands, drill teams and floats is at the corner of NE 85th Street and 161st Avenue NE and along 85th Street to City Hall.
- The Criterium, sponsored by Swedish of Redmond, is the City’s oldest event and is the nation’s longest running bicycle race. The race begins at 1:15pm with the last race at 7:00pm.
- Musical entertainment continues at Noon on Saturday at the Main Stage with Mango Son, a seven piece traditional Cuban band.
- At 2:30pm, Recess Monkeys, a kid-driven, high energy group will rock the stage. The Tall Boys, a popular Seattle, old time early country and blues trio, will perform at 4:00pm.
- At 6pm, Mycle Wastman, Seattle native and 2012 “The Voice” contestant will take the stage and get the crowd ready for the headliner of the night, The Paperboys, who take the stage at 8:00pm. Prepare to sing and dance and have a good time!
As always, families with children will enjoy the free activities that include bouncy houses, the Cadman Sand Box, a climbing wall, and Wet and Wild Sprinklers; carnival rides and games, (which will be at the City Hall Campus Park and Ride on 160th Street). Hours of operation are Friday, July 12th, from 5:00pm -10:00pm and Saturday, July 13th, from 10:00am-10:00pm.
“Every year we add new activities to attract new attendees while keeping our devoted Derby Days fans coming back to this long running festival,” stated Lisa Rhodes, events and marketing administrator for the City of Redmond. “We have a terrific line-up of free entertainment that the whole family can enjoy,” she adds.
Ample parking is available at the City Hall Parking Garage, Old Redmond Schoolhouse Community Center, and Redmond Town Center. A free shuttle will run on Saturday only, July 13th between parking sites from 9:00am - 10:30pm.
Come join the fun and be part of Redmond’s Derby Days. For additional information, visit www.RedmondDerbyDays.com
or via a link on the City’s main web site at: www.redmond.gov
, or call 425-556-2300.
# # #