Permits & Forms

Development Services Center is now accepting electronic plans by USB or CD in PDF format. USB and CDs shall be accepted only if they contain files for the current permit submittal. If you have any questions, please contact the Development Service Center at 425-556-2473.

What does electronic plan review mean?

We are currently only accepting plans and supporting documents on a USB drive. We are not accepting any form of paper when permits are requiring plan review, including the application. Only when a permit is over-the-counter would you still need to bring in a paper permit application.

What Codes has the City of Redmond Adopted?

We conduct our plan reviews using the 2012 International Codes with the exception of the 2012 Uniform Plumbing Code, 2009 A117.1 and 2014 NEC. View our handout for a complete list of codes and design requirements.

Are intake appointments required?

Intake appointments are required when you are submitting any permit that requires plan review or three (3) or more over-the-counter permits.

The Building Department is excited to offer an online appointment scheduling pilot program. Please visit our online booking website to book your appointment or use the button below to choose your appointment time. Please send any feedback related to the online scheduling pilot program to Jozanne Moe.

Incomplete applications and applications delivered by courier, fax, or mail will not be accepted. Please see our tip sheet for a successful intake appointment.  

Does the work I am planning require a permit?

The International Building Code (IBC) Section 105.1 and International Residential Code (IRC)Section R105.1 states, "Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit."

If you are in doubt about the need for a permit you should contact the Development Services Center at 425-556-2473, or our handout on work exempt from permit.

Is the work site located in the City of Redmond?

While some mailing addresses include Redmond as the city, they may not actually be located within the city limits and are probably located in unincorporated King County. We have jurisdiction only where the work to be performed is located within the City of Redmond. You can find out what jurisdiction you are in by checking out the King County Parcel Viewer Information. You will need the address, cross streets, or parcel number for the property in question. 

County residents should contact King County’s Department of Development and Environmental Services for more information.

Permit, Form and Handout Categories

Building Forms and Handouts include: TI/Alteration, Commercial/Multifamily New projects and Additions, Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing applications and submittal requirements. Also includes Sign, Demo, and miscellaneous permit information.

Public Works Forms and Handouts include: Water/Sewer Extension Review, Hydrant Use Permit, Right of Way (or Street Use) Permit, Side Sewer Permit, Special Events Permit, Temporary Construction Discharge Permit, Water Meter Permit, miscellaneous permits information, and Bond Forms. 

Fire Forms and Handouts include: Local Codes, Standards, Code Interpretations, Permit Applications/Checklists, and miscellaneous permit information.

Land Use Forms and Handouts include:  Submittal Requirements for all Land Use Permits, Shoreline Application Forms, Transportation Concurrency Information, Pre-application Meeting Forms, SEPA Forms, Critical Area Forms, Public Notice/Posting Requirements, and Bond Forms.


E-Track Portal Information

View latest details at

To view your active permits through the E-Track Portal, you must complete the following steps:

Step 1: 
Complete the CONTACT REGISTRATION FORM and submit to the Development Services Center.

Step 2: 
Visit and register yourself as a "New User."

For more information and/or questions, please contact a Permit Technician at 425-556-2473 or via email at