General Information About The Process
The online permit application system allows a licensed contractor to apply and pay for certain permit types via the web and then receive the permit via email the next business morning. Note: Sign permits may take up to two weeks. There are four steps to the process: Registration, Application, Payment, and Issuance.
|| WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- City of Redmond Business License
- State Labor and Industries contractor license
- Your contact information (name, phone, address, etc.)
- E-mail address
- Site address or parcel number
- Owner information
- Description of work
- Credit Card number, name, and expiration date
| Permit Issuance
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
Step 1 – Registration/Login
The first time you use the system you will be asked to register. You must be registered to use the system. On subsequent visits you will only need your ID and password to logon. During registration you will be asked to:
- Provide your City of Redmond business license number and State Labor and Industries contractor license. We will confirm that the licenses are active and valid and store them for you, so you won’t have to re-enter them later.
- Provide basic contact information about yourself, including your email. This is needed to send you the completed permits or contact you in case of processing issues. There is an added benefit to you in that you will not need to re-type this information for each permit. You can, if you wish, add other Labor and Industries contractor licenses to your user profile.
- Provide a password for subsequent logons (your email address will be your ID).
- Agree to our terms-of-use statement, which describes the security and payment processing policies that govern the transactions. Once you agree to be governed by the policies, your account will be established and you can start applying for permits.
Your registration is valid as long as you maintain the required licenses and your work remains within the scope of your contractor's license. Once registered, you are ready to start applying for permits.
Step 2 – Application
Our online permit application system allows you to apply for one or more permits at a time. A separate permit is required for each structure and for each sign installed. The types of permits are limited to those over-the-counter permits that do not require plan review, except for sign permits. At this time you may apply for the following types online:
- Commercial Electrical and Low Voltage Permits for tenant improvements of commercial buildings.
- Residential Electrical and Low Voltage Permits for existing or new single-family buildings.
- Residential Mechanical Permits for existing or new single-family buildings.
- Residential Plumbing Permits for existing or new single-family buildings.
- Sign Permits for walls or monuments.
An online application requires the same information supplied when filling out paperwork in the Permit Center. The benefit is that you will not need to provide contractor and contact information for each application - it is done automatically. Owner and location information is even verified from city and county sources based upon the parcel number or address. And as you complete each application you are given the option to apply for additional permits or to complete the transaction and pay for your permits.
Step 3 – Payment
When you are ready to check-out we will show you a list of all your permits with an outstanding balance. You have the option to remove a permit or permits from the list if you have decided that you no longer want that particular application to be submitted.
You pay for your permits with either Visa or MasterCard. For security purposes we use Secured Socket Layer (SSL) to encrypt your card number, expiration date and card holder name information. We’ll confirm the card with the bank and present you with a receipt. Please print the receipt in case there is a problem or question. The receipt is not your permit. We’ll process the application and issue you the permit via email. No refund shall be made on permits with a fee of less than $150.00 and no refund shall be made on Sign or Quick Start Fire permits.
Step 4 – Permit Issuance
The Permit Center will process all applications completed and paid for by 9:30 p.m. on the next business morning, except sign permits. Online permits cannot be processed and issued the same day; if you need the permit immediately (except sign permits), please visit the Development Services Center located at 15670 NE 85th Street.
The permit/inspection record and any conditions associated with the permit will be emailed to you. As with all permit packets, you will need to post the permit/ inspection record and plans at the job site.