Redmond City Landmarks
O.A. Wiley Home
Stone House, 16244 Cleveland Street
The building on Cleveland made of local stones is also known as the Stone House. It was built in 1916 by Orson A Wiley and his wife, Emma Holmes Wiley. The Stone House Restaurant operates there today.
In 1916, Orson A. Wiley and his wife Emma Holmes built the bungalow style home made of stones from local rivers and streams. Orson Wiley owned a livery stable and feed store nearby. While building the home, the Wiley’s and their children lived in the second story of their livery stable above where horses, wagons, and carriages were stored and rented. Once the livery was sold, he became a saloon keeper; he was one of three bartenders with one eye in Redmond, at the “Eagle Bar”—“Redmond’s Finest Sample Room—Fine wine, liquors, and cigars.”
It was rumored that Wiley was a bootlegger during Prohibition; making alcohol in a still in a small building behind his home and selling it in alleys or transporting it to saloons through underground tunnels. Though there is no evidence that supports this story, it is still a favorite local tale.
Today, “The Stone House” restaurant occupies the building and maintains a lively presence in the Redmond community. Over the years the O.A. Wiley home has become known as the “Stone House” and is only one of two buildings in King County built with stones from the local rivers and streams.