Do You Need A Permit?
You probably need a permit from the City of Redmond if you intend to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy and/or use of a building or structure, and for work involving any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system that is regulated by adopted City codes. The City of Redmond also issues permits for work involving public rights-of-way, utilities, special events, fire safety, land uses and planning.

The following are frequently asked questions (FAQs) related to permits issued by the City:

Certain types of work are exempt from permit under the International Building Code and the International Residential Code.

If you have questions about the need for a permit, please contact the Development Services Center at 425-556-2473 or

A Land Use Permit is typically required for the following actions:

  • Any public, semi-public or private proposal for new construction or exterior modification to a building or site including multi-family, commercial, industrial, utility construction
  • Expansion or remodeling of structures, parking or landscaping. Subdivision of land or modification to property boundaries
  • Interior tenant improvements that propose additional square footage (such as a mezzanine)
  • Proposed development within Shoreline Jurisdiction
  • Construction or installation of wireless communication facilities
  • Modifications to historic landmarks. Proposed variances or modifications to adopted regulations such as site requirements, critical areas regulations and shoreline regulations

If you have any land use related questions please contact the Planner On Call at 425-556-2494 or by email at